Why do we need so many patches for scout uniforms??? No one told me about hand stitching when I signed up the kids. Argggg….
(From Smitten Kitchen)
2 sticks butter (soften)
200 g all-purpose flour (sifted 3 times)
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs, separated
1 tbs Grand Marnier or Rum
Zest of 1 lemon, or 1 orange.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan.
- Sift flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites and 100 g sugar until stiff.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 86 g sugar to the butter and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Add Grand Marnier (or rum) and citrus zest to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Use a spatula to fold flour + baking powder to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Add 1/3 part of egg whites, mix well.
- Add another 1/3 part of egg whites.
- Add the remaining egg whites and mix gently until smooth.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then cool on a wiring rack.