Hubby (excited): Eight of my former professors got the Nobel prizes!
Me: They are not good teachers, apparently.
Hubby (pissed): !!!
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
For 10-11 shot glasses or tiny espresso cups
4 large egg yolk
65 g sugar
1 1/2 cup heavy cream (plus 1/2 cup, optional)
200 g chocolate, chopped (I used Valrhona 70%)
2 tsp unsalted butter
1 pinch of salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp liquor, e.g. brandy, rum, Grand Marnier (optional)
Shaved chocolate (optional)
- In a small saucepan, whisk egg yolk and sugar until combined.
- Slowly add 1 1/2 cup heavy cream while whisking the yolk-sugar mixture.
- Warm the cream mixture over medium-low heat while constantly stirring with a spatula until it is thick enough to coat the spatula.
- Note: do not let it simmer or boil.
- Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl and put a strainer over it.
- Pour the warm cream mixture through the strainer onto the chopped chocolate.
- Let it rest for 15-20 seconds.
- Use a whisk to combine the cream mixture with the melted chocolate.
- Add 2 tsp unsalted butter.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add liquor, if using.
- Mix until combined.
- Divide the chocolate mixture into tiny glasses or cups.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- Before serving, whip heavy cream to soft peaks (if using). Spoon cream over each glass, and sprinkle with shaved chocolate (if using).