So it’s been confirmed. My new enemy is 4th-grade math! If they had put my kids’ math in the GRE, I would have failed miserably a long time ago.
On the bright side, home schooling is still going strong!
Mung bean sticky rice (Xôi vò)
(Recipe from our auntie Mai)
7 oz yellow split mung beans (soaked in water for at least 2 hours)
3 cups glutinous rice (soaked in water for at least 3 hours)
1 tsp salt
3 tbs sugar
5 tbs coconut cream (only take the solid part)
- Rinse the soaked mung beans under hot water, and drain very well.
- Use a steamer to steam mung beans for about 20 minutes, or until the beans are soft. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a food processor, pulse the beans until finely ground. Set aside.
- Rinse the soaked glutinous rice under hot water, and drain very well.
- Add 1 tsp salt + 1/2 mung beans to the rice. Mix well.
- Steam for about 15 minutes, or until the rice are soft.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large tray, add 5 tbs coconut cream, and mix until the rice soaks all liquid and becomes dry.
- Add sugar, and mix gently.
- Gently stir in the remaining mung beans.
- Steam the second time for 5 minutes only.