8-year-old just lost his 3rd tooth tonight.
8-year-old: Papa, please tell the Tooth Fairy to give me $13 for this tooth.
8-year-old: Last time I got $2 for two teeth. An told me she got $5 each. The Tooth Fairy owes me.
(Does anyone have $13 in cash that we can borrow urgently???)
(Adapted from Cameengo and Do Vinh)
450 g tofu (drained and cubed)
2 tbs canola oil
1 piece of ginger (minced) or substituted by 2 tsp ginger powder
1 shallot (minced)
4 garlic cloves (minced)
3 dried wood ears (soaked and chopped)
200 g ground pork
2 tsp fresh chili paste
3 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
200 ml chicken/beef broth or water
Salt to taste
2 tsp ground pepper
1 fresh Thai chili (optional)
1 tsp cornstarch (stirred in 1 tbs water)
4 scallions (thinly sliced)
A few sprigs of coriander for decoration (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add minced ginger (if using) + shallot + garlic and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add chopped wood ears and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground pork + chili paste + oyster sauce + soy sauce + sugar and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in broth or water and bring to simmer.
- Add salt to taste (+ Thai chili and garlic powder if using).
- Gently add cubed tofu.
- Cook until broth is reduced to half.
- Pour in 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbs water to thicken the broth.
- Before serving, sprinkle sliced scallions and coriander sprigs.