Friend: You have an impressive set of knives.
Me: You just discovered the secret to my happy marriage during lockdown.
Meyer Lemon Chiffon
For a 10″ chiffon cake
6 large eggs (separated)
170 g sugar (divided)
6 tbs canola oil
Zest of 4 Meyer lemons
8 tbs juice of Meyer lemons (from the 4 lemons above, add water if not enough)
150 g cake flour (sifted)
2 tsp baking powder
Serve with powder sugar, whipped cream, fruits, etc.
- Preheat oven to 340F.
- In a large bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat egg yolks with 1/3 sugar until light yellow.
- Add 6 tbs canola oil + lemon zest, whisk until combined.
- Add 8 tbs lemon juice (or mixture of lemon juice and water), whisk well.
- Add sifted cake flour + baking powder and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, use a handheld mixer to beat egg whites and the remaining sugar until stiff.
- Use a whisk to combine 1/3 egg white into the batter. Mix gently.
- Add the remaining egg white to the batter and mix gently until combined.
- Pour the batter into the chiffon pan.
- To remove air pockets, use a skewer to poke the batter, and tap the pan gently on the counter a few times.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool the cake upside down until it is cool completely.
- Serve with your choice of topping.