What to do when we had a long beautiful weekend? Camping of course! This time, we camped in the backyard, completed with birds chirping early in the morning, grilled meat and marshmallow. The kids explored different plants, insects, and birds.
Mommy made yummy whole wheat crackers so the kids can pack for snacks. They were content.
Whole wheat animal crackers
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
180 g shredded mild or sharp cheddar
50 g butter
60 g whole wheat flour
30 g all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp onion powder
A pinch of salt (< 1/8 tsp)
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and run the machine until the dough forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in a a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- On a parchment paper or silpat, roll the dough out 2mm thin.
- Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut double.
- Transfer cracker to lined cooking sheets.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the crackers cool on the baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container or a ziplock bag.